To offset menopause symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats, a first step for many health care providers is to prescribe estrogen hormone therapy. Although in most cases hormone therapy is the right choice for some patients, alternate approaches might be more suitable. At AdvantageCare Physicians, our whole-you care approach is based on knowing about all of the physical, emotional, and lifestyle factors that impact your health. And that includes discussing the full range of menopause treatment choices available to you.
Many women use herbal supplements to manage their menopause symptoms:
- Black cohosh: The root of this herb helps reduce hot flashes and night sweats.
- Soy: This herb eases discomfort associated with hot flashes and night sweats.
- Flaxseed: Ground flaxseed also helps ease the discomfort of hot flashes.
*If you’re interested in trying any of these, make sure to consult your provider first.
Small changes to your lifestyle can make a big difference in your comfort level during menopause. Some of these changes can help reduce symptoms, while others contribute toward overall feelings of wellness:
- Diet: Eat foods with an abundance of vitamin D and calcium. Menopause can weaken your bones, and changes to your diet can help prevent symptoms of osteoporosis. Foods rich in phytoestrogens, like tofu, soybeans, and sesame seeds, can replace estrogen in your body.
- Exercise: Maintaining a healthy weight can help to minimize menopausal symptoms. Improving your metabolism, energy levels, and joint health can greatly improve the way you feel physically and mentally. It can also help treat osteoporosis—especially weight-bearing exercises.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is linked to early signs of menopause. If you smoke, talk to your provider about ways to quit.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: Heavy alcohol intake has been connected to breast cancer, and decreasing your consumption will improve your overall health in the long run.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture can help to limit the severity and frequency of hot flashes as well as stimulate your metabolism.
- Wear loose and layered clothing: Loose-fitting clothes can make you more comfortable during menopause. And, dressing in layers makes it easier to cool down if you’re experiencing hot flashes.
Your experience with menopause is unique, and not every treatment option may be right for you. It’s important to be open and honest with your provider about your symptoms, and together you can find the right treatment plan for you. Schedule an appointment today to begin your path toward symptom relief.