Viruses commonly change through mutation and new variants are expected over time. The new variants of COVID-19 are reported to spread more easily and quickly. Scientists are working hard to learn more about them.
Early reports found no evidence to suggest that the variant has an impact on the vaccine’s intended results (efficacy). Preliminary research released from the makers of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines show that the vaccine provides some protection from the new COVID-19 variants.
It’s important to continue taking all precautions. Getting both doses of either vaccine on time is just one of the ways you can help prevent the spread of COVID-19. After getting the vaccine, the best ways to help keep you and your family safe from COVID-19 are to:
- Wash your hands often and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
- Wear a mask over your nose and mouth when around others. Some experts are now suggesting wearing two masks.
- Avoid crowds and stay at least six feet away from people outside of your household.
- Monitor your health for any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Stay home if you are sick.