Did you know that nearly one in five school-age children in the United States is obese? Childhood obesity can lead to severe health consequences, including asthma, type 2 diabetes, and joint problems. And, it can also cause children to develop psychological issues like anxiety, depression, and low self-esteem.
One of the best ways to keep your kids happy and healthy is to set them up with good eating and exercise habits that they will carry through their whole lives. All parents know that this is easier said than done, so we wanted to share a few helpful tips to make healthy living fun and easy:
- Have your kids try different fruits to see which ones they like—an orange or some blueberries could be a great way to quench their sweet tooth.
- Get creative by combining vegetables with foods they love. It might be as simple as mixing in some peas with their mashed potatoes or having them dip baby carrots in peanut butter.
- Eat the same meal together as a family instead of relying on separate take-out orders. That way, you’ll have more control over what your kids are eating.
- Sign your kids up for sports and physical activities that they like. This could include anything from basketball to dance to swimming.
- Go for a walk or bike ride as a family—in addition to the health benefits, you’ll also get in some important bonding time with your children.
To speak with one of our pediatricians, make an appointment today.